We finally spent our first night at the property. I needed to meet the septic tank contractor early in the morning on Friday, and with water on the property I was finally ready to burn two of the giant brush piles created from clearing the garden and home site. Instead of waking up early and heading over, we just decided to drive the motor home up Thursday night and camp for the weekend. With the promise of campfires and stargazing, the whole family was on-board.
Unfortunately it rained all night Friday and most of the day Saturday, which dashed the kids’ primary motivations for tagging along. My raging brush fire dwindled to a smolder in the 1-2 inches of rain that fell in a twelve hour period. Our home site and garden turned to sucking mud, and at one point the motor home sank almost to the axles in the orange soup. Things were not looking good.
By Sunday morning conditions had improved dramatically, so Edie and I set out early to re-stack the remnants of the brush pile. However, despite all of our best efforts, Leigh and I couldn’t get the fire to re-ignite. It looks like it will take a few more weeks of drying before we can finish burning what remains. Burning brush turns out to be much more complicated than I initially expected.
One way or another, the kids would not be denied their campfire. While I spread grass and winter cover crop seeds, Leigh built a small fire, and the monsters enjoyed flame-roasted hot dogs and smores. Several of the neighbors dropped by for a visit, and Leigh’s folks came up to see the progress. I even got a chance to do some shooting Sunday afternoon before we headed back to Trussville.
All in all it was a fun weekend, but we’re definitely learning that this crazy endeavor is going to be a LOT of work.